Thursday 27 March 2014

Great British Puddings!

The Cotswolds.

In our assemblies recently we talked about the Cotswolds, an area of outstanding beauty in central England.

The Cotswolds lie mainly within the counties of Gloucestershire and Oxfordshire, but extend into parts of Wiltshire, North East Somerset, Worcestershire, and Warwickshire.
Have you been to the Cotswolds? Did you notice the local stone that was used for houses and churches? The small towns and villages are predominantly built of the underlying Cotswold stone (a yellow oolitic limestone). This limestone is rich in fossils, particularly of fossilised sea urchins.

The yellow oolitic limestone used to build houses etc is very attractive.


 
A group of people meet in the Cotswolds every Friday night to celebrate traditional British Puddings.
Were you lucky enough to sample one of the puddings in assembly? Children in Key Stage Two voted chocolate sponge as their favourite. The children in Key Stage One and Downing Street class voted syrup sponge and sticky toffee pudding as their joint favourites!
My favourite pudding is jam roly poly with lashings of custard.

 
Why do you think jam roly poly is also known as "dead man's arm"?
What is your favourite pudding?
Have a look at the map of the UK near Year Five. Can you spot the counties that form the Cotswolds? There is a clue on the board to help you!
 

16 comments:

  1. From Lars,
    For the question i think it is also known as 'Dead man's arm' ,because from a certain view it looks like an arm with jam which looks like blood so then it looks like a arm that has been chopped off.

    For the second question my favorite pudding has to be Rhubarb Crumble with custard although chocolate sponge is also very tasty but not as good as Rhubarb Crumble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Lars, great answer for question number one! It is a very long sentence, what type of punctuation could you use to break it up and make it easier to read?

    Can you guess what the main ingredient in the chocolate sponge and custard was?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got to taste the sticky toffee pudding,I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karima, can you list some adjectives that describe the sticky toffee pudding? Try and make your sentences as exciting as possible!

      Delete
  4. I loved when I ate the Chocolate Sponge Cake! It was TASTY! I might buy it aswell.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The sponge on the sticky toffee pudding was pleasant and moist.The sauce was very hot and gooey.But all together it was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent. Are there any rules about starting a sentence with "BUT"?

      Delete
  6. Hello Mr Wright,
    In assembly I didn't get a chance to taste any of the delicious puddings but I think my favourite would definitely be the jam roly poly. This is because it is filled with jam and it looks mouth-watering. It will probably taste even better with custard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It also tastes wonderful with double cream!

      Delete
  7. In the early 19th century, the Jam Roly-Poly Pudding (a traditional British pudding) was created. It is a flat-rolled suet pudding, spread with jam, rolled up and steamed/baked. In the olden days, it used to be steamed and served in an old, worn-out shirtsleeve, thus earning the nickname Shirtsleeve pudding, or the gruesome nickname Dead Man’s Arm.

    I was indeed lucky to be selected by Mrs Williams to sample the chocolate pudding in the assembly, but due to my food allergies, I could not taste it. However, my favourite pudding is Eve’s Pudding.

    The Cotswolds lie mainly within the counties of Gloucestershire and Oxfordshire, but extend into parts of Wiltshire, Somerset, Worcestershire and Warwickshire.

    I have never been to the Cotswolds but I would surely like to go there some day, because it is very beautiful and picturesque. I would love to see the structures created from the famous and unique golden coloured Jurassic limestone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In assembly, I tried dead man's arm and it was so delicious I wanted to try more!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Seemontini 5AC4 April 2014 at 12:08

    I did not get to taste any of the delicious pudding but my friends Rhea and Diya did and they said it was delicious,

    ReplyDelete
  10. I personally did not get a taste of the yummy looking treats especially the chocolate one I really love chocolate but my team mates (class friends) who did get a chance of getting it told me it was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I luckily got a chance to try dead mans arm ( jam roly poly ) and it was delicious !! I think that it is called dead mans arm because the white part looks like the arm, and the jam looks like blood .

    ReplyDelete
  12. The food have strange names like Toad in the hole,Bubble and squeak,Spotted dick,Welsh rarebit/rabbit,Cullen skink,Stargazey pie,Singing hinnies,Angels on horseback,Jam roly poly,





    ReplyDelete