Tuesday 25 March 2014

Macbeth

Macbeth is a play written by William Shakespeare.

It is considered one of his darkest and most powerful tragedies. Set in Scotland, the play dramatizes the effects produced when evil is chosen as a way to become powerful.

The play is believed to have been written between 1603 and 1607, and is most commonly dated 1606. The earliest account of a performance of what was probably Shakespeare's play is April 1611, when Simon Forman recorded seeing such a play at the Globe Theatre in central London.

Macbeth is Shakespeare’s shortest tragedy, and tells the story of a brave Scottish general named Macbeth who receives a prophecy from a trio of witches that one day he will become King of Scotland.

Would you like to read Macbeth with me?

As Shakespeare's words are very difficult to read for children, I am reading an abridged version of the story, written in a way that children can understand. I have a few spare copies in school, so if you don't have one of your own at home, you can borrow one of mine!

We are reading the version by Andrew Matthews and Tony Ross that looks like this:


We will start reading on Friday. If you have a copy of the book, have a close look at the cast list on pages 4 and 5, and read the short rhyme on page 6.

 

I hope you enjoy the story as much as I did when I first read MACBETH !






8 comments:

  1. I love Macbeth! And I like twelfth night because year 4 did a play and I was Oliva!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats great Abeer, did you enjoy playing Olivia, the rich Countess? Do you have a copy of Macbeth?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did enjoy it! I don't have a copy of Macbeth.

      Delete
  3. Dear Mr Wright, I have already read Macbeth (the same version as you mentioned) and I really liked it. Can I please read with you again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you can, Ishaan. Would you also like to choose the next Shakespeare play that we read?

      Delete
  4. Dear Mr Wright,
    Thank you for letting me read ‘Macbeth’ with you.
    I would quite like it if we read ‘The Merchant of Venice’, although ‘Julius Caesar’ is also another favourite of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would also like to read with you Mr Wright because I did love reading with the visitors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love his books and would love to read Macbeth with you Mr Wright too.

    ReplyDelete